What the words mean

Here is an explanation of some of the words used on this website.

Account management Managing the money for someone’s care and support, for example receiving money from the Council and paying for support.
Appointee A person or an organisation like Dosh who manages someone’s benefit money if they do not have the capacity to do it themselves.
Appointeeship Someone else manages your benefit money for you if you do not have the capacity to manage it yourself.
Bank account A place where your money is kept safely. You can get money like benefits paid into it and pay money from it.
Bank statement A list of the money you have spent and the money you have been paid into your bank account. It tells you how much money you have every month.
Benefits The money the government gives you if you do not have enough money or have a disability. It can help you pay for your care and support, your house, your food and other things you need to buy.
Best interests The way to make a decision for someone who cannot make it themselves. It means thinking about the person’s wishes and likes and involving others who know them.
Bill A letter asking you to pay for something you have bought or used, for example electricity.
Budget A plan that says how much money you are getting and how you want to spend it.
Capacity Being able to make a decision about something yourself.
Care manager A social worker or someone who works for the Local Authority and helps you get care and support.
Care provider An organisation that gives care and support to people, for example with personal care or social activities.
Circle of support The important people in your life. This can include your support worker, family, friends, advocate, care manager or social worker.
Contract An agreement between 2 or more people or groups that they will work together, or buy something from each other.
Council The government group that runs local services like schools, bin collections and social care. They are also called the Local Authority.
Court of Protection The place that makes legal decisions for you if you cannot make them yourself (lack capacity) and live in England or Wales.
Debt Money that you owe to a person, group or company.
Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) The government office that pays benefits.
Deputy A person who the court decides is allowed to make decisions for you about your money or your personal welfare (England and Wales only).
Direct payments The money you get to buy your own support.
Eligible needs The things that the council decide you need support with that they will pay for.
Employer The person or group who gives someone a job. This could be a group like a support provider or a person who needs support and has a personal assistant.
Fairer charging Paying for some of your care and support if you have enough money.
Financial advocacy Supporting you to be in control of your money.
Financial advocate The person who supports you to manage your money.
Guardian A person who the court decides is allowed to make decisions for you about your money or your personal welfare (Scotland only).
Income The money you get from work or benefits.
Individual budget The money you get to buy your support.
Individual Service Fund The money you get to buy your support.
Infographic A poster or leaflet with information written using pictures, diagrams and other graphics.
Inheritance The money or things you get from someone when they die.
Invoice A letter asking you to pay for something you have bought or used.
Loan Some extra money given to you that you have to pay back later.
Local authority The local council – a Government organisation in a particular area of the country. They have lots of jobs including managing care and support.
Managing Director The person in charge of a group or company.
Mental capacity Being able to make a decision about something yourself.
Money Plan A list of what you buy and the money you get paid each month or each week. Your Dosh Financial Advocate will do this with you. This is also called a budget.
Motability A scheme that helps people with disabilities to get a car or other vehicle. It uses the mobility part of DLA or PIP to pay for the car. You usually have the car for 3-5 years.
Not-for-profit company  A business that puts any extra money it makes back into the organisation to make its service better.
Pension The money you get when you are older and have stopped working.  This could come from the Government, your employer or another group.
Person-centred  Support that puts your needs first to give you more control in your life.
Personal assistant (PA) A person who supports you with the things you want to do.  They work for you directly, not for an organisation.
Personal budget The money you get to buy your support. You can get this money in different ways, including a direct payment.
Power of Attorney A person who is allowed to make decisions for you. You would choose this person when you can still make decisions and they would make decisions for you later when you cannot do it anymore. You can have an Attorney for property and financial affairs/matters, who can make decisions about your money and where you live. You can also have an Attorney for health and welfare. There are different types called Continuing, Lasting or Enduring Power or Attorney.
Proof of identity Something that shows who you are, for example a passport, birth certificate or benefit letter.
Salary The money you get paid from a job.
Savings Money you have kept, for example in your bank account.
Self-directed support (SDS) The type of support that means people can choose how they are supported and how they spend the money for their support.
Social care Support for people with disabilities and health problems provided by the Council.
Social services A Government organisation in the Local Authority or Council that gives support for things like housing and care.
Standing order Something that you pay for regularly from your bank account.  Once you set up a standing order it will be paid every time without you doing anything.
Support team A group of support workers who care for someone.
Tax This is some extra money you have to pay to the government when you buy or do some things. You also pay tax if you work and get paid enough money.
Trust A way of looking after some money that is left to a person who cannot look after it themselves.
Vacancy A job that is available in a company and needs someone to fill it.
Will A list that is written down and says what you want to happen to your things when you die. It is a legal document, which means that it has to be followed.
VAT Value added tax. This is some extra money you have to pay to the government when you buy some things.



If you do not understand any of the words and descriptions on this page, or if you want to suggest other words we can add, please contact us.